Platte Canyon Water and Sanitation District was organized in 1959 as a quasi-municipal government subject to Colorado statutes pertaining the special districts. The District is currently governed by a five-member elected board of directors.
Administration of the District was provided by legal, engineering, and financial consultants from 1959 until 1971. At that time, in response to the rapidly growing administrative and operation needs of the District, the Platte Canyon Board of Directors hired its first employee to oversee the day to day operation of District facilities. Additional employees have been retained as the number of customers and facilities have expanded.