The Board of Directors approved the 2021-2030 Capital Master Plan (Plan) on September 25, 2020. This Plan provides a framework for the District to be proactive in addressing infrastructure needs by identifying, prioritizing and scheduling water and wastewater rehabilitation and replacement projects over the next ten years.
The Plan identifies $1.9M of needed infrastructure projects in 2021 with a total of $18.2M over the next 10 years. The three water main replacement projects listed below are scheduled for construction in the summer of 2021. These projects account for 90% of the total expenditures while purchases of vehicle and equipment account for the remaining 10%.
The 2021 projects include replacement of cast iron pipe (CIP) that has advanced levels of electrolysis-caused corrosion. Two of the three projects are located within the Columbine Hills Subdivision, which contains some of the oldest water mains in the District. The pipe scheduled for replacement was installed in 1960 and was not protected from corrosive soils, which is the current practice. The third project is located in the Leawood Subdivision, where a substantial amount of older cast iron pipe is also located. Combined, eight breaks have occurred on these three water mains, including four that occurred in 2019.
Capital Improvement Projects Scheduled for 2021:
- S. Depew Street – This project will replace 1,900 feet of 8-inch CIP with 8-inch PVC in S. Depew Street between S. Platte Canyon Road and W. Canyon Trail. This project is located in the Columbine Hills subdivision and includes a culvert crossing.
- W. Alder Way – This project will replace 700 feet of 6-inch CIP with 6-inch PVC in W. Alder Way between S. Depew Street and W. Alder Avenue in the Columbine Hills subdivision.
- S. Newland Circle – This project will replace 1,700 feet of 6-inch CIP with 6-inch PVC pipe in the S. Newland Circle loop off of W. Leawood Drive.
Work done as part of the District’s extensive sanitary sewer video inspection and maintenance program has not revealed a need to schedule major rehabilitation or replacement of sewer system assets in the next ten years.
Vehicle and equipment replacements are projected at $390,000. These include replacement of several vehicles including the standard four-wheel drive pickup truck and the sewer cleaner truck originally purchased in 2009.
Thirty additional water main replacement projects are scheduled for construction between 2022 and 2030 which represents the replacement of 37,000 feet of pipe. Water projects scheduled for construction after 2021 are subject to change due to the new rating criteria. Pipelines that do not experience continuing problems will likely be deprioritized for replacement at a later date or eliminated from the plan. Alternatively, pipelines that are on the plan and experience additional failures will be accelerated for replacement earlier than originally proposed.
The entire 2021-2030 Capital Master Plan is available for download or review on the District’s website under Construction Corner.