The Board of Directors approved the 2022-2031 Capital Master Plan (Plan) on September 24, 2021. This Plan provides a framework for the District to be proactive in addressing infrastructure needs by identifying, prioritizing and scheduling water and wastewater rehabilitation and replacement projects over the next ten years.
The Plan identifies capital expenses of $2.1M in 2022 with a total of $20.9M over the next 10 years. The three water main replacement projects listed below are scheduled for construction in 2022. These projects account for 77 percent of the total proposed expenditures in 2022 while purchases of vehicle and equipment account for the remaining 23 percent.
For vehicle and equipment needs, the Plan provides for systematic replacement of the District’s fleet and equipment. Replacements are scheduled to avoid large expenditures for equipment repairs, excessive down time of malfunctioning equipment, while balancing annual expenditures for replacements. In 2022, vehicle and equipment replacements are projected at $477,464. These include replacement of two standard four-wheel drive pickup trucks, the trailer-mounted valve operator, and the television inspection unit originally purchased in 2012.
The District’s extensive sanitary sewer video inspection and maintenance program has not revealed a need to schedule major rehabilitation or replacement of sewer system assets in the next ten years.
The 2022 water main projects include replacement of cast iron pipe that has advanced levels of electrolysis-caused corrosion. The pipe scheduled for replacement is 60 years old and was not protected from corrosive soils, which is the current practice. The following three projects are located within the Columbine Hills Subdivision, which contains some of the oldest water mains in the District.
Capital Improvement Projects Scheduled for 2022:
- W. Elmhurst Avenue – This project will replace 2,306 feet of 6-inch cast iron pipe with 12-inch PVC pipe in W. Elmhurst Ave. from S. Depew St. to S. Lamar St. The diameter of the pipe was upsized by Denver Water.
- W. Chestnut Drive – This project will replace 821 feet of 6-inch cast iron pipe with 6-inch PVC pipe in W. Chestnut Dr. from W. Elmhurst Ave. to S. Kendall Ct.
- W. Caryl Place – This project will replace 404 feet of 6-inch cast iron pipe with 6-inch PVC pipe in W. Caryl Pl. from S. Depew Way to S. Ames Way.
The Plan allows the District to be proactive rather than reactive when dealing with asset replacement and rehabilitation needs. System modifications are prioritized so the facilities most in need of repair are replaced or rehabilitated in an appropriate timeframe. The goal is to minimize operation and repair expenses by avoiding costly unscheduled repair, replacement, and rehabilitation of deteriorating facilities. Most importantly, an aggressive capital rehabilitation and replacement program helps avoid system deterioration, disruption, and potential safety, health and property damage impacts.
The entire 2022-2031 Capital Master Plan is available for download or review on the District’s website under Construction Corner.