After being closed for three months, Waterton Canyon is now open to the public on weekdays only. This is the first phase of the reopening. The canyon remains closed on the weekends until further notice.
The canyon will follow normal operating hours during the week, opening a half hour before sunrise and closing a half hour after sunset, and will remain closed on weekends. Denver Water will closely monitor weekday use over the next month to plan for a successful weekend opening.
During the three month closure, Denver Water was able to perform their annual dust mitigation project, which has always required closure to the canyon for a few weeks.
If you plan to visit Waterton Canyon or any of Denver Water’s recreation areas, the utility encourages visitors to follow safety guidelines:
- Wear face masks and maintain a safe social distance from others.
- Limit gathering around wildlife and blocking the service road.
- Bring water as facilities may be limited or unavailable.
- Denver Water staff have limited ability to provide support in case of emergencies.
- Park in a safe and responsible manner at the assigned parking lots.
- Those who do not follow parking regulations may be ticketed and/or towed.